Excerpts from the Start Showdown.... 2 grown men, sitting Indian-style on the floor....
8:20 organize cards and pick teams. Start reading stats and reminisce about players....
MD: Remember Ceasar? didn't he hold his bat really high?
- MD:....Before the game, he used to milk a cow....
MD: wow that's a fantastic card you've got
HU: none of this makes any sense to me.
- HU: Chris Brown, he's dead?
MD: A lot of people are dead from the 80's..... (got on to list dead players and how they died: shot, held up a liquor store...)
- HU: I read a story he got cut by the Royals in 85 and then contemplated killing (so and so, wasn't paying attention to players name)
- MD: Idaho, I should go there, I like baked potatoes
HU: but there were a couple of white supremacists who set up there....
9:00 still holding their cards, reminiscing.....
- HU: they hold him up to be a great human being, but he beat his wife....
MD: well, they cleared him of the rape allegations
- MD: I can't remember the Philly bullpen
HU: Dickie Knowles
MD: Dickie Knowles!!!! It's all coming back to me know (Cue Celine Dion)
- MD: he's a coke-head you fool!
- HU: he brought his foot up as well (both MD and HU, sitting on the ground, lift up one leg/foot in the air, in perfect geek symmetry)
- MD: I don't know why so many of them get so fat... they do nothing?
HU: it's sad when your idols let themselves go (MM thinking: what's sad is this conversation)
- MD: I think he was living under a bridge for a while
- MD: My favorite pitching coach, he's also dead! Dick Pole. (OK, favorite pitching coach? that's pathetic!)
*Lil Urban is sitting on the floor, mixing some cards*
- HU: Sweetie, don't mix up another team. play with these guys (and by *guys* he means a pile of cards)
9:30 about to actually start playing, looks at the mess of cards on the floor in front of Lil Urban
- HU: I need to pick another team, she's done some trades
9:40, going over the instructions, realize that they can also play by *mail* by sending each other plays, and apparently, there is a solitaire option..... They try to figure out how one would play Strat by one's self:
- MD: wait, I'm going to use a left fielder. What a surprise! To myself!
9:50 Mortimer's Dad says :OK, let's start playing!,
Mrs. Urban, sitting on the the couch, looks up from laptop and says "What, you're not playing?" (confused look on her face as to what exactely all this chatter has been about.....)